Thursday, October 17, 2013

What Does God Want Me to Do?



"What does God want me to do?" Have you ever asked that question? A friend said to me recently, "I cannot tell you what God's will is for you." I appreciated that. Many times people do try and help us in this area, and at times we are left scratching our head.  The question of knowing and living in God's will is something that we grapple with in many areas of life. From our vocation, to family issues, to how we spend our money, to how we discipline our children, and in many other areas we want to know what God has to say. Does the Bible have anything to say about this?


God says a lot about it, let me give you some biblical principles when it comes to this area of life:


1. Seek God first - we many times put the cart before the horse.  We want to know God's will instead of getting to know God as priority. James 4:3 talks about people who put their own desires first then conveniently forget about seeking God first. In Matthew 6 as Jesus gives the principles for living under God's rule, he underlines the importance of seeking God first (verse 33) before seeking any other thing in life.



2. Know God's Word - What does God have to say about the issue you are facing?  For example, the word of God may not tell you the name of the person you are to marry but it does give you principles for discovering who he/she may be.  It may not tell you what type of job you should look for but it certainly tells you how God has wired you to serve Him. The important thing is to grow in your knowledge of the Word and in intimacy with God.



3.Grow in Community - If I think that I have the gift of teaching I should be a part of community that will affirm that or lovingly tell me that I don't have that gift.  I believe strongly in the local church (or a small group within that church) recognizing and affirming the gifts God has given to us. In fact in Acts 13 we read of Barnabas and Saul(later to be known as Paul) being sent out as missionaries from the church of Antioch.  It seems that they were involved in the ministry of that church and then God confirmed in the hearts and minds (verse 2) of the church that these men should be sent out to serve God and reach the unbelievers with the gospel (verse 3). If the church does not recognize one's gifts then that ought to indicate to us God's direction for this moment in time.



When you ask next time, "What do you want me to do, Lord?", know that this is a great question and a great place to start is talking to God about it.  When we sincerely seek him he will lead us in his ways. Psalm 23:1-3 reflects this truth in a beautiful way,
"The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me like down in green pastures.
He leads me beside still waters.
He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness for
his name sake."

The bottom line is that we are asking God to lead us in his path for the glory of His name!

No comments:

Post a Comment